Thuraya is a regional mobile-satellite service provider headquartered in the United Arab Emirates. It operates two geosynchronous mobile satellites allowing for communication in many parts of the world outside of cellular range.
Thuraya 2 was launched in 2003 and can handle 13,750 simultaneous voice calls. It currently serves most of Europe, the Middle East, Africa and parts of Asia.
Thuraya 3 was successfully launched in 2008. Its similar to Thuraya 2 but maintains a different position in geosynchronous orbit.
Both satellites operate 22,236 miles above earth and match the earth’s rotation. This means the coverage area always stays the same. This high altitude is what allows for such a large area of coverage even with only 2 satellites in operation.
Thuraya is a company making remote communication a reality by way of its network, as well as its various product offerings. Because of course, you need both!
Products Operating on the Thuraya Network
There is an array of Thuraya products to choose from, all of which you’re able to operate both within and outside of its satellite network. Whether you prefer a basic satellite phone, a dual-mode option that allows you to call on both SAT and GSM networks simultaneously, or would rather turn your own phone into a satellite device, Thuraya makes it possible.
Satellite Phone Options
Through Satmodo, both satellite phone and hotspot options are available.
XT-LITE Satellite Phone
- Advanced omni-directional antenna ensures seamless walk-and-talk functionality
- Voice and SMS capability in satellite mode when cellular networks are unavailable
- Long-lasting battery life
- Top value for the cost-conscious user
XT Satellite Phone
- Unwavering quality and reliability
- Rugged design is splash and dust resistant as well as shock proofed
- Full walk-and-talk capability even the antenna is stowed
- Compact and light for ultimate portability
- Glare-resistant display and high contrast menu
XT-PRO Satellite Phone
- An advanced satellite phone designed for professional users
- Built-in GPS, BeiDou and Glonass capability for the highest flexibility between navigation systems
- Easy-to-use dedicated SOS button
- Rugged design to withstand the elements – shockproof and jet water/dust resistant
- Small enough to fit in your pocket
XT-Pro Dual Satellite Phone
- World’s first dual-mode, dual-SIM phone
- Seamlessly move between satellite and terrestrial communication
- Make and receive calls simultaneously on both networks
- Advanced navigation capabilities
- Powerful, long-lasting battery
The X5-Touch is the world’s first Android-based satellite and GSM phone.
- Seamlessly move in and out of terrestrial coverage areas
- Works over Thuraya’s L-band satellite network as well as GSM 2G/3G/4G/LTE networks
- 5.2” full HD touchscreen
- Preinstalled navigation and tracking apps
- Rugged and durable with glare-resistant Gorilla glass and IP67 rating
Hotspots can offer users a flexible solution that allows for an easy interchange between areas with and without cellular capability. If you want the fastest way to turn your phone into a satellite device, this is it.
Thuraya offers the Satsleeve and Satsleeve+ hotspot options. Though they both offer the same satellite functionality that pairs with your own mobile device, they are used in different ways.
The Satsleeve Hotspot is best for those who prefer a standalone unit that stay separate from their phone. The Satsleeve+ is equipped with a universal holder for smartphones, perfect for those wanting to use their phone as a satellite device in a handheld fashion.
Both Satsleeves offer the following notable features:
- Use your smartphone in satellite mode
- Access your favorite apps on the move
- Excellent sound quality via your own device
- Comes equipped with an SOS call button that works even if the smartphone isn’t connected
- Download speeds up to 60 kbps, upload up to 15 kbps