How to use Iridium Messaging
When it comes to using a satellite phone it can be somewhat intimidating. Especially when you aren’t quite sure what exactly you will be charged once you try and send a text message. We get used to the idea that texting is free no matter what or who we are texting but if you aren’t careful you could end up with a not so desirable phone bill. Thanks to the team at Iridium they have come up with a new way to stay in contact with those who are using an Iridium satellite phone and not be hit with a $5-$10 charge per text! By following the simple steps below you will be on your way to finding all the workarounds that Iridium has to offer for your satellite phone.
How to Text an Iridium Phone for Free
Iridium has created a site that allows you to use Iridium messaging for free and only comes out of the Iridium users pre-bought minute bundle. All you need to do is go to messaging.iridium.com and this will bring you to a form where you will need to input the satellite phone number, your email address, and your message. Iridium messaging will then send the message to the satellite phone and all replies will be sent to the email address provided. You are allowed to put up to 160 characters per text. If you want to write more I suggest putting at the top of each message what order they go in. For example 1/5, 2/5, 2/5, etc. By using this simple tool it can save you hundreds of dollars in overage fees with your phone provider.
How to Send A Text Message From Iridium Satellite Phone
1. You must first be registered on the network before sending a text message.
2. Press “Menu”
3. Using the arrow keys, scroll to “Messages,” then press “Select”
4. “Create Message” should be highlighted. Press “Select”
5. Enter your message text and then press “Options”
6. Follow the on-screen options thereafter to send a text message.
How to Send A Text Message To The Iridium Satellite Phone
1. Have the person go to this website, messaging.iridium.com
2. On the top of the page, there is a link that says, “Message a Sat Phone.” Click it.
3. Enter the 12 digits sat phone number WITHOUT any dashes. Enter a reply to email if needed. Type Message.
4. Click send message (This option is FREE for the person sending and FREE for the person receiving the text).
NOTE: Using a cell phone directly to message the sat phone may incur high charges per minute or not work
This should do the trick, but if you are still finding it difficult to connect, then please call us at